Sexual Harassment in the Victorian Public Service

Tabled: 28 November 2019

Support options

Sexual harassment can take many forms and result in physical and emotional harm. Our report discusses these issues. If you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment or assault, or feels distressed, several support options are available.

1800RESPECT—national sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service

1800RESPECT provides information, referral and counselling services to people experiencing or at risk of experiencing sexual assault, domestic or family violence. It is also available to friends, family and professionals. 1800RESPECT provides a confidential service 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Phone: 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Employee Assistance Program

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides free and confidential short‑term counselling to Victorian Public Service employees for workplace and personal issues. Staff can obtain details of the relevant EAP from their departments' human resources (HR) teams.

Centres Against Sexual Assault

Centres Against Sexual Assault are non-profit, government-funded organisations that provide support, counselling and crisis care to child and adult victims of sexual assault and their family. You can find your local centre by visiting


Lifeline is a national charity providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

Phone: 13 11 14

Making a sexual harassment complaint

This audit examines whether the Victorian Public Service is free from sexual harassment. We do not take or investigate individual complaints. You can make a complaint or seek further information from:

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC) is an independent statutory body that has responsibilities under several pieces of legislation, including the Equal Opportunity Act 2010. You can contact VEOHRC to seek information or have your complaint heard.

VEOHRC may review complaints or refer them to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Phone: 1300 292 153

Australian Human Rights Commission

The Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) is an independent statutory organisation established by the Parliament of Australia. It promotes human rights in Australia and internationally and investigates complaints about discrimination and human rights breaches.

Phone: 1300 656 419

Victoria Police

The role of Victoria Police is to serve the Victorian community and uphold the law. If you have experienced or witnessed a criminal offence, you should report it to Victoria Police via a local police station. In an emergency, dial 000.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal hears and decides civil and administrative legal cases in Victoria. Complainants can apply directly to the tribunal to have a complaint about sexual harassment heard.

Phone: 1300 018 228

Back to Top